Main Page Namespace List Class Hierarchy Alphabetical List Compound List File List Namespace Members Compound Members File Members Related Pages
VMD source files and directory structure
The VMD source tree is split into several directories comprised of various shell scripts, C/C++ source code, Tcl/Python components, link libraries, installers, etc. The list below briefly enumerates the main directories of interest and what they contain:
- . The top level directory contains announcement text, README files, a Makefile simplifying VMD build configuration and a few scripts which are used to setup local build environments and to make distributions from source code or compiled binaries.
- bin Utility scripts and programs, such as the script used to start the proper architecture-specific VMD executable
- CVS This directory is used by the CVS revision control system we use to develop VMD. It doesn't contain anything of direct interest to a normal developer.
- data Data files used when VMD starts up, i.e., .vmdrc and other `dot' files.
- distrib Directory where binary and source distribution archives are built
- doc Documentation related files
- lib Linkable libraries and associated header files used by VMD.
- msvc Windows-specific MSVC project files, InstallShield projects, Winzip archives, etc.
- plugins Symbolic link to distribution directory for the compiled VMD plugins
- proteins Example protein data files used for testing
- python Scripts and interfaces used by the built-in Python interpreter
- rpm Old RPM spec files
- scripts VMD initialization scripts and built-in commands
- shaders OpenGL and OptiX shaders used by VMD at runtime to create high quality renderings, outlines, and other shading features not performed by standard OpenGL rasterization or OptiX ray tracing functionality.
- src Primary C/C++, Lex, and Yacc source code files
VMD Makefiles and build scripts
The scripts and Makefiles listed below are of particular interest to people compiling their own VMD binaries:
- configure The configure script creates platform-specific configuration header files, updates date/time and version stamps for both executable builds as well as the VMD documentation. The configure script also generates the Makefile within the src directory.
- Makefile This makefile contains all of the standard VMD configuration options we use to compile the binary versions of VMD we distribute. This makefile contains all of the configuration commands that were previously stored in configure.options.XXXX.opengl files that used to clutter the top level directory. This resulted in a cleaner distribution that was less confusing to users.
- src/Makefile This Makefile is generated by the top level Makefile and configure script. It is the file actually used when compiling VMD from source code.
- make_distrib This script is used to build a VMD distribution archive containing either a source or binary distribution, depending on the options passed.
- lib/use This script is invoked by the make_distrib script to package up any redistributable contents of the library directory. In particular, this is the script that copies pre-compiled binaries for Surf, Stride, Tachyon, and any other 3rd party programs into the final VMD distribution.
- src/Makefile.lexyacc Builds new Win32AtomLexer.C and Win32AtomParser.C files from the lex/yacc sources. (done very infrequently..)
pg_filestruct.dox,v 1.6 2016/10/06 21:11:35 johns Exp
Generated on Sun Jul 21 02:38:22 2019 for VMD (current) by
1.2.14 written by Dimitri van Heesch,