The Theoretical and Computational Biophysics group is currently beta testing a new interface for the BioCoRE collaborative project and you are invited to try out the new look. If you are looking for the main BioCoRE server, it remains accessible from the BioCoRE page.
This new interface gives BioCoRE a more modern look and feel, taking full advantage of the latest web technologies, including CSS. This will aid in adoption from the users as they won't feel that they are using "outdated" software.
In addition to changing the look of BioCoRE, substantial changes have been made to the BioCoRE server code that will make it easier to develop in the future. Simply put, the new interface has been refactored to cleanly separate low-level BioCoRE functions from the webpage presentation using the Struts Framework from the Apache project.
The new interface makes much more extensive use of the BioCoRE API (current documentation). In particular, all communication that the Control Panel (a secure instant messenger) performs with the BioCoRE server is done via the API. The benefit of this is that other programs can also make use of this API and easily implement their own integrated messenger programs to interface with the BioCoRE server.
Access The Beta SiteTo access the beta site (after reading the notes below) go to:
- This beta site uses a copy of the data from the real BioCoRE server. This means that if you have an account on the existing BioCoRE, you can use your same user name and password. If you didn't already have an account as of April 2004, the beta site has a link to create a new account.
- All of the project information, old chats, etc has been copied over as of April 2004. The only thing that wasn't copied are files that were in the BioFS.
- This data is for beta testing ONLY. The beta copy of the data will be deleted once the beta testing phase has finished. This data will not be merged into the real BioCoRE. Anything that you have done on the real BioCoRE server since April 2004 will not be reflected on the beta server.
- We are actively working on the new version of the interface. This means that the server might be restarted at any time. We will try to post a warning via the Control Panel, but we can't guarantee anything.
- Regarding the Control Panel: Currently, Java Web Start is the only supported of using the Control Panel. Refer to the Java Web Start page for additional information on using Java Web Start.
- If you want to use Java Web Start to launch the Control Panel
without a browser, follow the instructions on the Java Web Start
page, but substitute the following URL:
We aren't yet done with converting all components of BioCoRE over to the new interface. In particular, Job Management is not yet finished. We've made up a detailed ToDo list and you are welcome to look at it. If you notice something that isn't working and is not on the list, please let us know. If you notice that an item is on the list below that is working, please let us know that as well.
Detailed list of things that still need to be done before release
The BioCoRE team welcomes any comments, questions, or suggestions that you might have concerning our software! Please email us or fill out our feedback form.