From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2017 - 14:35:17 CST

Hi,
  You can rename any of the parts of a structure in VMD very easily:

set sel [atomselect top "name AH1"]
$sel set name "H1"
$sel delete

Once you have done the renaming, you can even write out new PDB/PSF files
with the new names.

The DCD trajectory files don't contain any names, so changes to the
names, or even writing new PDB/PSF files has no impact on the trajectory at all.

Cheers,
  John Stone
  vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu