From: Norman Geist (
Date: Tue Feb 23 2016 - 01:35:16 CST

You could register a function to trace the vmd animation frame to compute and apply a fitting zoom value through the trajectory similar to Regarding DrawMolecule.C a fitting scale value can be computed as 1.5/max(size(x),size(y),size(z)). You might want to compute the size of your molecule by only using heavy atoms to achieve some kind of smoothing.

Good luck

Norman Geist