VMD-L Mailing List
From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2015 - 09:32:35 CST
I'd like to add two Tachyon Optix related issues:
1. Using the "ruler" in "scale" mode, when nothing else (including
axis) is visible, TachyonOptix will crash.
2. The general fact TachyonOptix will no more work without restarting
VMD, if it has crashed once.
From: owner-vmd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu [mailto:owner-vmd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu] On Behalf Of
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:15 PM
Subject: vmd-l: Handful of rendering issues
I have a few minor rendering-related issues/suggestions in VMD 1.9.2:
- If I have an isosurface visualised in the default point representation and
switch to GLSL rendermode, every point becomes a VERY large sphere and the
system slows to a crawl.
- When a wireframe is rendered in Tachyon the lines are of course replaced
by thin cylinders. This works out nicely in the CPU-only Tachyon
(particularly if I use a transparent material, yielding a nicely unobtrusive
mesh), but the cylinder diameter is much larger in Tachyon-OptiX. Is it
possible to shrink this, or is this one of the trade-offs that allows the
renderer to be so blazingly fast?
- When using the interactive renderer, closing the rendering window with the
mouse rather than pressing Esc or q crashes VMD.
- I think it would be awesome if the interactive renderer had an option to
render the scene at some multiple of the screen resolution, for when
poster-quality images are needed.